Kilsyth Town Centre
The town of Kilsyth developed in the middle ages along the banks of two small rivers, the Garrell Burn and the Ebroch Burn, and one of the earliest maps is dated around 1590, by Timothy Pont and is published in Blaeu’s Atlas of 1654. 1645 saw the great civil war and the Battle of Kilsyth, where Covenanters under General William Baillie, were defeated with dreadful slaughter by Royalists under James Graham, Marquis of Montrose.
Baillie escaped with his life but more than a hundred years later, during the cutting of the Forth and Clyde Canal, the bodies of several troopers, one still seated on a horse, were recovered from the area.
The town further expanded in the late eighteen century, due to the flourishing weaving industry. Towards the end of the eighteen century the local hand loom industries were complemented by the expansion of quarrying for building stone for the growing cities such as Glasgow. In the early nineteen century industry also extended to extensive lime and sandstone –workings, and iron and coal mining, the latter becoming the major industry in the area at the time.
Most of the grey-buff and red sandstone town centre that can be seen today was built in the latter half of the nineteen century. The Market Square originally served as the focal point of the town. The square retains an ornamental water pump dated 1869. The old part of the town reflects the medieval street pattern, with many narrow lanes.
Kilsyth is an historic town with a town centre that offers a range of traditional family owned businesses, these include butchers, a fishmonger, bakers and general stores. Kilsyth is the most northerly town in Lanarkshire, nestling in the scenic countryside at the foot of the Kilsyth Hills.
Kilsyth has a lot to offer residents and visitors alike. The town is home to the picturesque Burngreen Park, Auchinstarry on the Forth & Clyde Canal. As well as the Antonine Wall and Colzium House Estate there are numerous walking, cycling, and equestrian trails, angling in the many rivers, canals and lochs in the area, and canoeing and cruises on the Forth & Clyde Canal. From earliest recorded times Kilsyth was one of the main routes between Glasgow, Falkirk and Edinburgh, and is very close to the Roman Antonine Wall, the Forth and Clyde Canal and the main Glasgow to Edinburgh railway line, with the nearest railway station at Croy